Sometimes it’s easy enough to determine if a particular rangefinder is made for hunting or for playing golf. It’s certainly no problem with the TecTecTec ProWild Hunting Rangefinder, with the “ProWild Hunting” in the name as an obvious clue.
A single glance at its camouflage casing should also indicate clearly that it’s for hunting. But if you’re a golfer too, this can help your game as well.
Features of the TecTecTec ProWild Hunting Rangefinder
The TecTecTec ProWild Hunting Rangefinder is quite affordable, but you sure do get a lot of features for your money.
- This has a range of 540 yards, and that’s certainly more than good enough for hunting. Come to think of it, that’s also great for golf too. Its accuracy is within plus or minus a yard, and it gives the measurements quickly. It also offers a continuous scan mode.
- It’s a very compact unit, with measurements of 4.1 by 2.8 by 1.6 inches. It also just weighs a measly 6.5 ounces. That’s so small and light that you can fit it in your pocket or you can use a wrist lanyard that comes with your purchase.
- The optics quality is quite clear, while the display shows you the distance in black letters and numbers. You also get a battery meter on the display as well. With this device, you get 6x magnification so you’re better able to identify and focus on your target.
- The casing is quite durable, and it’s resistant to water and dust.
- This uses a CR2 battery that comes with the purchase, and it also has a 30-second automatic shutdown feature.
Basically, this is an affordable rangefinder with a no-fuss attitude.
- The long range of the rangefinder is quite nice, as you’re not limited to taking shots only up to 200 yards. With this, you can get up to 400 yards very reliably and perhaps even up to 540 yards.
- This rangefinder is one of the easiest units you can use. There’s really nothing to it. You just focus on your target and you get the distance to it virtually instantaneously. It’s so quick to provide the distance that you have a continuous scanning mode you can pick. There’s even a speed calculator too, if you want to know how fast your prey (or a car on a race track) is going.
- The display offers a battery power reading, and that’s a convenient bonus. It’s so annoying to suddenly need a new battery when you’re out in the field using the rangefinder. It’s also great that there’s an automatic shutoff feature after 30 seconds.
- The aiming mark and lines are actually easy to read in low light conditions. That’s good, since a lot of hunting (especially for coyote) goes on during dusk or dawn. It’s not always possible to hunt prey during the bright hours of the day.
- The small size makes it really portable, and that’s great. You don’t want an 8-inch rangefinder distracting you when you’re making your shots. With this, you use it and then you forget about it while you line up your shot.
- It’s very durable too. You can use this even while it’s raining, and that’s useful for hunting though not really for golf. Its affordable size may convince you to lend it to your kids, but you don’t have to worry when they drop it on the ground. The durable casing does a good job protecting the insides. It’s even resistant to dust and water.
With its low price, it’s hardly surprising to note that it’s not really perfect.
- It lacks many advanced features that more expensive rangefinders may offer. For example, it doesn’t factor in the incline or decline angle of your target, which will in turn affect the true horizontal distance. There’s no special flagpole function to make it easy for you to approach the greens in golf. There’s no fog mode either.
- Sometimes it’s not easy to read the black writing on the display.
- Since it comes with a CR2 battery, it may not always be readily available unless you get it online.
Who Is It For?
Basically, it’s for a hunter who wants a simple rangefinder without any fuss or gimmicks. A hunter like this has more important things to worry about such as locating the prey and making the shot. The rangefinder can help with that, but it’s just one part of the process.
This is so easy to use, so it’s great as a starter rangefinder for young kids. It’s quite a hardy device too, so even kids with clumsy hands won’t damage this easily. Just point it, focus on the target, get the reading and that’s it.
But this can work with golfers, too. Finding the precise distance to a particular spot always helps.
The TecTecTec Hunting Rangefinder is an ideal starter rangefinder. It’s affordable, easy to use, and offers accurate readings quickly. It’s very durable as well.
Buy it for yourself if you’re new to rangefinders, and then give it to young kids in the family when you decide to upgrade.